Tuesday, June 30, 2009
Let the weaning begin...Wait but HOW???
Well ladies I am in need of some motherly advice once again. As of Monday I am going to get serious about weaning Jack off the bottle. There's just one problem...I have no idea how this works. You would think I would have consulted with his pediatrician on how this is suppose to work but she just told me it needed to happen before his next visit (15 months). So one must wonder, what's the trick? Jack is already used to his sippy cup which is great but do I just replace the bottle with the sippy at nap time and bed time or do I take away the bottle/sippy away at bed time?? I get that they are not suppose to have milk or juice in them at bed time... so a sippy with water to take to bed?? He knows he only gets his sippy when it's time to eat, he doesn't walk around with it all day so I think that should help, but I have no clue how to proceed from here, please share your experiences Im open to anything!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
We just met with our pediatrician for Sam's 12 mos. appt. and he wants us to start this process also. I'm little nervous how Sam will react. He wants us to go cold turkey with the bottles and use only sippy cups. I think I'm going to attempt to do it next week...yikes...wish me luck! Let me know if you hear of a better way before then:)
I say pack up all the bottles and put them somewhere safe for the next kid. Go cold turkey. He may be upset for a few days but he'll get over it.
I am planning on taking away the bottles but my the burning question is - Do I send him to bed with a sippy with water or no sippy at nap or bed time?? That's the part Im unclear on...
I stopped the bottle cold turnkey as well.
Then i tried just watering down the milk for her at night. But once it got too watered down she totally noticed and wanted milk only. I guess i was just always too tired to fight it so she still goes to bed w/ milk.
I will NOT put the rest of my children to bed w/ milk in the future. But w/ Katelyn, I figure what;s done is done.
If you are really adventurous and daring you can cut everything cold turkey, or i suggest watering them down.
Keep us updated.
I know Jack will sometimes take water because if he woke up in the middle of the night I would just have a bottle with water in it and he would go back to sleep (he wouldn't drink much but it did the job) but he doesn't associate the sippy as a comfort item so Im afraid he wont want it when he goes to bed....
I think I might just have to go cold turkey no sippy no bottle at bed time....
My doctor told me no drinks in bed. I never had to personally go through this because Odin rarely ever took a bottle. My mom says just get rid of the bottles completely and don't put him to bed with a drink, especially if you want to protect his little teeth.
Post a Comment