Monday, June 1, 2009

Tantrums


I can not figure out how to deal with these new tantrums. Im not sure if Jack is acting out and super clingy because he realizes Im home more, or if it's just a new phase. I have heard that once kids hit a year they learn to master the "cause and effect" reaction. Let's just say Jack has defiantly mastered this. He throws these outrageous tantrums and sprawls out onto the floor and just kicks and screams and smothers his face into the ground. I mean seriously it's a spectacle to say the least. He want's me to hold him 24/7 and if I put him down he throws a huge tantrum. With never really being a stay at home mom since he was born, Im not sure if he is just reacting to all the change, or if I just need to get used to being around him and this is normal. Any advice? AKA Please help me keep my sanity!

9 comments:

Jen said...

Have you started time outs? These are a must in my opinion. I'm sure the move is a big factor- Katelyn had a hard time adjusting over here for a few weeks.

Try Time outs.

Lisa Marie said...

I find that ignoring it works well. When he has a tantrum, don't give him what he wants and just walk away.

The Ferrins said...

I have tried ignoring, or giving him something else if the problem is that he is playing with something he isn't suppose to be. Ignoring works kind of, except he just continues to cry as he finds something else to play he will continue the moaning/crying. Or he will just walk along my leg and cry and scream.

I haven't really tried time out's yet. Is one too young? Is time out always the same spot? I know some kids have like a corner or something. Im not sure Jack will understand it...Jen you've been around him, do you think he will get it?

Eaton Family said...

I think it could be a whole lot of things. You are home a lot more now, he moved, and he is testing his boundries with you! I have always done time out, but every kid is different! He might be too little to get the whole timeout concept, but he will learn fast if you put him somewhere. I dont like to use the crib as a time out because I didnt want Tatum to assoiciate bed with something bad, but when they are that young I wouldnt call it timeout they just needed to cool off. I would put him in his crib and let him cry it out once he is nice or you are ready get him out. Once you figure out what works best for you and him it will get easier! i swear!!

Ashley said...

Read The Power of Positive Parenting. There is actually a tantrum chapter, my sister uses the techniques and finds they work well.

Hina Schneider said...

I know how that goes, Jack did the exact same thing. There came a point where I kind of just let him cry because I was tired of holding him and after a while he got used to it and wasn't as attached. I tell you some of these phases that these kids go throuhg are just crazy and so exhausting to deal with.

Anonymous said...

My doctor said to completely show no emotion towards the tantrum... Odin likes to bang his head into the ground or the wall during his tantrums... he will still cry for a while but just keep trying! I started Odin in time out around one and I would put him in his room alone without toys and shut the door. I explained to him what time out was and now he stops right away at the mention of it.

The Ferrins said...

Thanks guys, I think I am going to try to continue to ignore or just show no emotion and do time out along with it depending on how bad the tantrum is ( which may be often then...) We finally have insurance again so I am anxious for his 1 yr. appointment to also get the Ped's take on the whole thing too..

The Wylers said...

Emily has been doing time-outs since even before she was a year old and they work really well for her. I don't usually use them for tantrum because I try to just ignore those, but when she is doing something that she is not supposed to be doing I put her in her designated time-out spot (which is the bottom step) for one minute. My pediatrician said 1-2 minutes for each year of age.