I made this for dinner a few nights ago... it was scrumptious. I have a thing for a good bowl of french onion soup... maybe it's the yummy caramelized onions, or maybe it just the yummy french bread with swiss and parm topping... I love them both. We had a yummy mixed herb salad to go with it. It was fantastic, too bad I made it especially because it was a stormy day, or so I thought. It cleared up at 10 am that morning and was hotter than heck, but that didn't stop me!
I decided to include this recipe for my record and for your use! I got it from allrecipes.com
Note: The original recipe uses a baguette but I buy a crusty french bread loaf since it's more versatile and I get more use out of it for a family of 3. Just remember to toast the bread very well otherwise the bread will be soggy in the soup.
INGREDIENTS
2 onions, thinly sliced
1/4 cup butter
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 (10.5 ounce) cans beef broth
2 1/2 cups water
6 slices French bread, toasted
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F(220 degrees C). Separate sliced onion into single rings.
In a medium sauce pan saute onions in butter until soft, approximately 20 minutes. Stir in flour and gradually add broth and water. Bring to a boil and simmer for 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, toast French bread slices.
Place toasted bread into soup bowls. Pour soup mixture over bread and sprinkle with Parmesan and Swiss cheese. Bake for 10 minutes.
8 comments:
Wow! This does look yummy.
That looks good! I need to go out of the box when I cook dinner and always make the same stuff over and over.
Yummy! You are an amazing cook...seriously. I need to take come lessons from you. :)
Yum Yum! I love the mugs too.
yummy that looks good!
delicious! i want some right now.
i am so glad to see you posting more. are you glad you're a SAHM now?
Hey Cecia! Thanks for your comment on my running blog. That's awesome that you started running! It definitely takes a couple weeks to get into, but one day you'll go out and finish your run and think, "wow! That was so much easier than usual!" It's a pretty awesome feeling. : )
Love your blog, so so cute! Looks like I'm going to have to get some recipes from you, that soup looks awesome. Also love the pics of Jack getting into the wipes! Brinley does that with her diapers. I have them all stacked so nicely on shelf and I turn my back for 1 minute and they're all over the floor. Gotta love it!
Yum!! I'll have to make that!
Post a Comment