Monday, April 26, 2010

Home-made detergent

I have been hearing a lot about cleaners you can make yourself with everyday household items (vinegar, baking soda etc), and with earth day just behind us I thought about the money I could be saving in cleaning products! Aside from being environmentally friendly (which is not my motivating factor I have to admit) making your own detergent can be as inexpensive as $2.00 per 100 loads, and is a more natural alternative. I currently spend about $4.50 per 50 oz bottle of Tide (36 loads) and that's with using coupons for purchase; never at full price which is about $7 in this size.
Everyone in my family has terribly sensitive skin and I have to buy the "free and clear" detergent anyway, and anything natural tends to respond to our pasty sensitive skin nicely. So this week I am going to be purchasing the goods to make my own laundry detergent. I have heard that this doesn't smell like anything (neither does Tide Free and Clear) but I usually use a dryer bar (Bounce) to give a little bit of a fresh smell.

I'm not sure I can give up all of my cleaning products, I sort of love the smell of a clean kitchen or bathroom but I figured I can substitute a few things, laundry being the first.

Here is the recipe I will be following and what I need to buy

Powdered Laundry Detergent – Recipe #4

2 cups Fels Naptha Soap (finely grated) -$1.50/bar (2 cups is about 1 bar)
1 cup Washing Soda - $2.23/ 56 oz box
1 cup Borax $3.27/ 76 oz box

Mix well and store in an airtight plastic container.
Use 2 tablespoons per full load.

6 comments:

Robyn and Anthony said...

Oooh let me know! I am always for saving $! And saving the environment is good too. I am interested to hear what you think of your new soap!

Jen said...

wow impressive:)

JamieLynn said...

Do you know if this will work with front loading he washers? (I have to buy different detergent for that at the store) Can't wait to hear how it turns out!

Cecia said...

Jaime, I have a similar recipe for front loading machines. I will give it to you next Tuesday at our coupon party :) And yes we can play poker with our coupons like on Mr. Mom :) That's how I roll...

Susan Elliott said...

Good luck Cecia! Homemade windex works really well, I've been using that for a long time. I always have to look up the recipe online when I make it, so I can't remember it at the moment. Let me know if you find a really good dusting recipe--all the ones I've tried seem to make my furniture oily.

Holly Garvin said...

My Mom makes her own laundry detergent from the same recipe. She loves it. I feel the same way about the smell, but I'm sure you could add your own essential oils to it.