Cameron and I were lucky enough to take a much needed vacation, we decided Boston was the place to be (and had the cheapest flights!) While our first couple of days were rainy, we didn't let that stop us from taking in all of the sights and history Boston has to offer.
Our first night we went to a restaurant recommended by friends in our ward who had lived near Boston for a while. It was absolutely the best restaurant I have ever eaten at. I had butternut squash ravioli and it was heavenly. Cameron had one of the specials Gnocchi in a Fra Diavolo spicy sauce, it was yummy! One of our other favorite was the calamari that was fired with peppers... who would have thought fried peppers would be so delicious!?!



On our way back to the hotel we stopped in at Mike's Pastry's and enjoyed Cannoli's, they were delicious!

Our second day we rented a car... a mini car to be more specific. We took the 45 minute drive to Newbury Port to see the area my dad grew up in. It was an adorable little waterfront town that you can tell has history and has been preserved pretty well.



This was the home he lived in through most of grade school and before her moved off to attend college. It's a pretty awesome looking house, I think my dad said it was built in the early 1900's like 1905 or something. What was super neat was that it was steps from the water. Both of my grandparents passed away when I was fairly young, my grandmother when I was about one and my grandpa when I was 10 (I think) so I never had the chance to get to know them in my adult life but I'm grateful I was able feel close to them in this way. We also visited the store my grandpa worked at in the 40's, it's still around. It's called Fowles and is a cigar, news stand and has a small lunch counter too. Apparently it hasn't changed much but it was neat to see where he worked. I also got the chance to talk with an older woman who has worked at Fowles since the 60's and mentioned she probably new my grandpa because her dad had worked at the lunch counter in the 40's and into the early 50's.




After spending a good portion of the day driving around Newbury Port and Plum Island ( a neighboring town) we headed back to Boston for Dinner. Not before we almost got stuck in Salem due to flooding, (did I mentioned it rained a little
) We had stopped earlier that day and had a cup of clam chowder and we were craving more seafood! We headed to The Barking Crab for some fish fry! It was delicious but I hadn't eaten this much fried food in a long time, it made me seriously tired!



On our second full day the weather finally decided to participate and we headed out to walk the freedom trail. It was so neat to see the history in this area. Boston is so old that walking this trail made me feel like much of what I was seeing was probably what those who lived in the early 1700's saw, it's a surreal feeling.


All churches should invest in this type of seating... I'm just saying.













5+ miles and one nasty foot blister later we were fully fed in the history of the American Revolution. Boston is a great city, we had a blast!
7 comments:
How awesome that you guys got to go! Boston is such an interesting city to see...lots of history! I love how green it is there...the opposite of good ole AZ!
Oh my what a trip! I am glad that you guys were able to have a little vacation and enjoy one another! I LOVE your dads house, what an amazing place. It looked like a great trip!!
Sounds like so much fun. I love the pic of you that you can see the steam coming off the food!
I am glad you ugys had such a good time, despite the rain and aching feet! Your dad's house is so cool looking, and I am seriously drooling over those cannolis!
Oh so much fun!!!!! Love lal the pics & I'm totally jealous.
P.S. I think I am starting to have with drawls from you guys :(
Who kept the little guy- Was your MIL still in town?
Giacomos!!! mmmm.... That's pretty much the exact same dinner we had, well at least I did. I had the butternut squash ravioli and then we went down to Mike's and got chocolate chip cannolis! yeah for Boston! Sorry you guys had yucky weather, it seriously got sunny the day after you left! Looks like you still had a blast and got some awesome one on one couple time. : ) (Oh and those church pews are the bomb!! We seriously need those... ; )
I'm so glad you guys had a great time!! Your pictures are awesome :)
Post a Comment