Well Cam and I have been trying to get our sorry selves back into shape, because we (I) have to face reality I gained some serious weight during my pregnancy and need to get back to being healthy. I always blame my weight issues on not living with my parents anymore. Let me explain, in my parents house you will not find any sweet cereals, no red meat ( thats right turkey bacon, turkey burger etc.) no white bread only whole grain/wheat and no deserts. The occasional sweet was my dad bringing home a bag of Sandies Cookies which was rare. Those of you who grew up around me know exactly what I am talking about (wink wink Afton, thats why I loved your moms fresh baked bread and goodies!). My father being the 60 years old he is is a complete health freak, he runs about 3 miles a day (every day!). Even when he was on vacation here in Chicago for a week he asked to use our Community Gym! Who works out on vacation! Anyway long story short there is will power somewhere in my genes and I have yet to find it, so I decided reality is Im not just going to wake up one day and change all of my eating habits so I am trying to ease my way into a "better way of eating" not a diet! Cam is being great and joining in on my efforts! Tonight I did my dad proud, I made Lasagna...let me explain It was made with whole wheat pasta, turkey burger and yup I even skipped the garlic bread I was dying to make. Instead we made a tasty spinach salad. I will admit the "normal" lasagna is a little better but I have to choose my battles...be a chubby wife forever or get back into shape. Cam thought it was delicious and said he didn't even know it was whole wheat pasta. Here's a tip for anyone who wants to try this, you have to SERIOUSLY season turkey burger otherwise it taste like crap. I let mine simmer in a red sauce for about an hour. Now I am excited to try tweeking some other recipes to make them a little healthier!
Tuesday, July 22, 2008
Healthy Lasagna
Well Cam and I have been trying to get our sorry selves back into shape, because we (I) have to face reality I gained some serious weight during my pregnancy and need to get back to being healthy. I always blame my weight issues on not living with my parents anymore. Let me explain, in my parents house you will not find any sweet cereals, no red meat ( thats right turkey bacon, turkey burger etc.) no white bread only whole grain/wheat and no deserts. The occasional sweet was my dad bringing home a bag of Sandies Cookies which was rare. Those of you who grew up around me know exactly what I am talking about (wink wink Afton, thats why I loved your moms fresh baked bread and goodies!). My father being the 60 years old he is is a complete health freak, he runs about 3 miles a day (every day!). Even when he was on vacation here in Chicago for a week he asked to use our Community Gym! Who works out on vacation! Anyway long story short there is will power somewhere in my genes and I have yet to find it, so I decided reality is Im not just going to wake up one day and change all of my eating habits so I am trying to ease my way into a "better way of eating" not a diet! Cam is being great and joining in on my efforts! Tonight I did my dad proud, I made Lasagna...let me explain It was made with whole wheat pasta, turkey burger and yup I even skipped the garlic bread I was dying to make. Instead we made a tasty spinach salad. I will admit the "normal" lasagna is a little better but I have to choose my battles...be a chubby wife forever or get back into shape. Cam thought it was delicious and said he didn't even know it was whole wheat pasta. Here's a tip for anyone who wants to try this, you have to SERIOUSLY season turkey burger otherwise it taste like crap. I let mine simmer in a red sauce for about an hour. Now I am excited to try tweeking some other recipes to make them a little healthier!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
You go girl! I do remember eating cactus at your house! I can't wait to see you guys, we will all be healthier and hopefully smaller versions of ourselves!
Cecia, tell Cam that I (Scott) have been trying to "bulk up" at the YMCA.
That looks so yummy! Good for you about being healthy! I try, but it's no easy task! lol I think the hardest part is finding healthy recipes that everyone likes, especially my hubby. he is picky!
Post a Comment