Thursday, July 30, 2009

Finding Contentment


Ok so Im not going to elaborate too much on this book, however I am going to recommend it as a must read for mom's! Over the last couple months having to adjust to a new way of life has not been as easy as I thought it would be. Reality is my life was CRAZY before moving to Minnesota and I never felt like I had a second to breath, but, now that I am at home full time my mind has taken over and given me a whole new kind of stress and set of uncertainties.

How can I be a better mom?
How can I love my husband more?
How can I make sure we can financially afford for me to stay at home full time?
How can I be an active member of my ward and get to know people if Im in the halls every week chasing my 14 month old around?

I'm sure many of other mom's have felt this same way, and me being the Type A personality I am I feel like I have to conquer all of these things in a short amount of time. Well, I have been reading this book chapter by chapter every few nights and have found it to be very inspiring. I have come to realize I am who I am and I'm trying my best and that's all I can do. To top it off I heard a great talk by a mom in our ward who really made me think more and more about finding contentment in my life. I have to admit it's so much easier to just have a pity poor me party ( Im good at these :) but as I have read this book and reflected on the talk I heard last Sunday it really helped solidify my thoughts on finding contentment. The book is very honest about how women feel and it doesn't bother sugar coating the topic. Reality is I AM trying my best and to others that many not seem like the best or it might seem like Im trying too hard, but everyone is different and the mom down the street might be super mom but Im not there yet, and I may never be there. My life is unique in it's own way and I have to find my own contentment in it and know that I was given this life to endure trials and to most importantly, overcome them. Being a mother is by far one of the hardest jobs out there, I totally underestimated it, however it has been the most rewarding.

Anyway, read it if you can and if you need a copy I have one!

5 comments:

Ashley said...

oh my goodness cecia thank you! I know exactly how you feel and I have been working on bascially that. I've been struggling to find happiness right now on an everyday basis and I am going to get this book right now! I NEED it especially today

Anonymous said...

We all need to have a more positive outlook on our roles as mother's and instead of judging others or ourselves we need to lean on each other more and be more supportive. I know you are a fantastic mom and wife and even though you struggle, you are making improvements each day! I love you and you can always call me if you need a friend to talk to!

go to this page to read a great article about motherhood

http://www.ldsmag.com/articles/080527sacrifice.html#top

Beccarigg said...

I can totally relate to how you're feeling. That first year of motherhood was SO hard for me. It was just such an adjustment from working full time to being home full time. Especially because I had no idea what I was doing or how to take care of a baby. I mean, you learn as you go of course but just the whole schedule of being home and not having that adult interaction was hard on me. Luckily it gets easier and by the time Brinley came along I felt like I had a much better handle on what I was doing! Sounds like a great book, I'll have to borrow it from you sometime!

The Wylers said...

I'll definitely have to check that out. Thanks.

Jana said...

I remember feeling that same way when I moved away from family and found myself basically alone all day long with my little baby. SO MUCH TIME TO THINK ABOUT BEING PRODUCTIVELY PERFECT!!!!! Find peace in being peaceful. That is my advice. Peaceful will mean different things to you at different time - and know that I still work at finding it even now. When we were in the Nauvoo pageant, Maria (the author) and her children housed right next to us at the condos. I was always so impresssed with her and related to her in many ways. She was there that week witout her husband and I she handled it so well. She was the ultimate at finding peace in being peaceful! I saw that she had written a book but I have not read it. I will enjoy it when I do, thinking both of her and you!