Friday, April 22, 2011

32 Weeks and in Denial!

Im 32 weeks and totally in denial that I could have a baby in less than two months! I felt so ready to be a mom, snuggle a baby, and start motherhood with Jack and this time I'm trying not to think about being a mom of 2! Don't get me wrong I'm totally excited to do all of those things with another little one but I'm not sure where the heck time went?!? I'm starting to feel sad that Jack wont be our only child and starting to worry a little. Cameron keeps trying to convince me that Jack will have so much fun with a sibling, which I know is totally true, but I think the first few months are going to rock his world (not in a good way). I'm totally to blame for turning him into a little bit of a mommas boy. I'm just grateful my mom and I are getting along so much better and she will be in town for 2 weeks to help me, lately she has known exactly what to say and I'm gonna need a lot more of that in the coming months. Maybe if I force myself to start nesting (like put up a crib, or at least the pack and play?), or just take a second glance and my ever so large belly I will start convincing myself :)

Anyway I'm totally rambling but any of you who have two or more kids and have some positive ways to make the transition for a sibling easy, please share your ideas! We've talked to Jack about his baby brother but aside from that I don't know what works or what to expect from him!

7 comments:

Maren said...

We included Caleb in EVERYTHING. Changing diapers, bathtime, even when Asher was asleep, Caleb would help with the dishes and laundry. It was easier to include and take longer doing certain task than searching for him and seeing if there was another mess to clean up.

I also read to him while feeding Asher. Caleb loved all the attention he was getting even while I was nursing Asher.

Also if I had two crying at the same time, I would typically choose helping Caleb because I could get that done quicker than feeding/changing Asher.

You will be great. It will take some time to adjusting how you might do things, but you will get the hang of it quick enough.

Cameron and Wendy said...

I can totally relate! While I was so excited about having Landon, I was also a little bit of an emotional wreck when I thought about it not just being Miley anymore...in fact, as I was getting ready to head to the hospital, I just started bawling and told Cameron I was sad for Miley. As you can see, silliest thing EVER! Miley loves her brother, and for the most part is really understanding when I need to pay attention to him, and will even try to help me but trying to calm him down herself by putting in his pacifier, rubbing his head, and saying "Shhhh." Now I know all kids are different, but I consider Miley to be pretty high maintenance and demanding of our attention, so I was totally surprised with how well she took the transition.

Point being, I bet Jack is going to do much better than you think. He is REALLY cute with Landon whenever we are with you guys. And you are going to be a great momma of two!

Jen said...

Katelyn received a baby doll and everything a baby would need, bottles, blankets, rattles, car seat, swing ect. So she took of her baby while i took care of Mack.

She was really into it and we really didn't have many jealousy problems. I was really freaked out that we would but we were lucky:)

Jack will do great, i'm sure!

Dwiggins said...

I don't know anything about it but I know people(I think it was Ashlee) who buy a present for the older sibling from the younger sibling, you know to start things off on a good note. Good luck!

Kholkerfamily said...

We got an indoor tent for Kizzy as a distraction when we first brought Kendal home from the hospital. We also had his bed and his things laid out so that by the time he came along, all the extra stuff was already part of the landscape. We also always said in our prayers how greatful we were for our new baby so she was hearing about him for months. I don't know how Jack is, but Kizzy responded really well to Kendal being "her" baby. She wanted to take care of him and smother him with kisses. One thing I noticed with Kizzy was before Kendal came along she seemed lonely in a way that we as her parents couldn't fill. I've never noticed that loneliness since Kendal's been born. There is something about a sibling bond that is there from birth.

welkers said...

You will be surprised at how well Jack will adjust to his new role as big brother. I understand your anxiety but it will all work out. I agree with the gift giving idea, pick something up that you can take to the hospital as a gift to Jack from the baby and have Cam or your mom take Jack to pick something out for baby while you are in the hospital. Odin loved getting to pick something out and he was so surprised that Rykr had done the same thing :) get some rest girl...I wish I could be there to help.

Love,

Afton

Beccarigg said...

I carried around a little baby doll for a few weeks before I had Brinley and showed Teya how we would take care of the baby. We also bought her a special gift from the baby and just tried to give her lots of extra attention. Taber took her on regular Daddy/daughter dates and would also watch the baby so I could take her out for some one on one time too. I think the main thing is that Jack still feels special.

I also agree that when they are both crying, choose Jack first. The baby won't remember but Jack will, and you don't want him resenting the baby. I'm sure he'll do great adjusting to his little brother. Kids have a way of surprising us like that : )